‘Change is the law of life, and those who look only to the past or present
are certain to miss the future’
John F. Kennedy
Recently the VAFI Media & Communications Coordinator attended a webinar about the lessons for successful Public Relations (PR). After discussing how the organisation can be more proactive and interactive online, we discovered that most of the lessons are just as applicable to our day-to-day business.
Here are some of the tips we picked up:
- Unlearning is one of our biggest challenges. Change is hard, and accepting change is sometimes harder. As we move forward and face times of change, we will inevitably face times where we need unlearn a practice so that we may relearn and move on.
- Now is the time to be more creative in our work; from communications through to stakeholder engagement. We live in the world of data explosion and we need to learn to cut through the noise.
- We need to be influencers, but we need to earn it, and have credibility throughout all our work, from our online communication, our policy submissions through to our correspondence to members and stakeholders.
- Technology can be used in many ways, in particular as a tool to scale. In a world that is moving more and more online, it is vital that as an Association we begin to use technology in smarter ways.
- It is important to build a following and create networks. The old saying is true, it is not what you know, it is who you know. Online networks have immediacy, but offline networks remain crucial as well.
- Content must be visual and must be influential. If we are to be the trusted voiced of the industry in Victoria we need to be leaders.
- It’s about owning and earning our content – we can’t rely on the old school methods or outside stakeholders (journalists, government etc.) We need to distribute our own content, to earn our authority.